Thursday, August 4, 2016

One Month without Callie

Today marks one month since Callie went to be with Jesus.  For most people it has probably flown by.  But for us, it has been the longest month of our lives.  Every day feels like a week as the days just crawl by.  It feels like it's been 4 months since July 4th and not because it's hard to remember her or remember that day, but only because the days are just so long.

I know I say this often, but we miss her so much.  I think of her all the time and what we would be doing together that day and what she would be like.  I think about how sweet and fun her personality was.  She didn't have a mean bone in her body.  She was just a joy to be around and was so special to us.  I also think about July 4th a lot whether I want to or not.  It's like a videotape that constantly plays in an endless loop in my mind, running through all that happened that day.  Random things make me sad.  Walking around the grocery store and seeing a mom with her kids makes me sad.  A part of me is upset that they are so happy and the other part of me wants to tell her how lucky she is she has her kids.  Seeing kids Callie's age makes me sad.  Seeing happy posts and pictures of people's kids on Facebook makes me sad, which is why I can't scroll through Facebook anymore right now.  Thinking about her 2nd birthday makes me sad.  I know it's far away, but I still just can't imagine her not being here for her 2nd birthday.

To be honest, I didn't really feel like writing a blog post today.  It's been a hard week.  We feel a dark cloud over us that just won't go away no matter where we are or what we do.  I also just don't feel very encouraging right now so I didn't think a blog post would be a good idea.  But then I realized the reason I write is for me as it's therapeutic, and also for others who may read this one day who experience a loss of a child.  So I must be honest with the hard road we are on.  And that sometimes I just don't feel like saying all right things and just want to shout out, "this stinks, this is not fair and I just want our daughter back and get back to normal again."  But at the same time, I do have to speak truth to myself.  I do have to think about things that are true and what Scripture says.

A few weeks ago, Justin and I watched a video called Flame On.  It was about the Jasper family who lost their 5 year old son in a dune buggy accident.  I read his book in 3 days and then we watched the video which documented their grief journey just a couple months after the accident.

At the end of the video, they said, "What do you know about God on the hardest day of your life?" Go to the deepest thing you know about God and hang on."

What do I know about God on the worst day of my life?

I know God is good
God is faithful
God is sovereign
Nothing catches God off guard
My sins are forgiven
Jesus Christ lives in me
I know for certain I'm going to heaven
He never makes a mistake
God loves me unconditionally
God uses everything that touches my life for my good
God uses everything that touches my life to accomplish His purpose
God's grace is totally sufficient
God's plans for me are for my welfare
God's will for me is good and perfect and acceptable
God heals
God delivers
God sets the captives free
God gives joy in the midst of adversity
God will see me through this storm
God will provide my every need
I don't have to carry my burdens alone with fear of anxiety and worry
I don't have to live in fear of the future
I don't have to live in shame

Thinking of these truths, and believing what I know is true when I don't feel like it, is what I must do daily on my darkest days.

I highly recommend watching the entire 40 minute video, it is powerful.  You can watch the video here:  Flame On




2 comments:

  1. Keep preaching these amazing truths to yourself, Tracy. Your faith on the darkest days is so beautiful and so precious to the Lord. This post is going to bless so many people in so many circumstances. Callie's legacy is rippling out to touch so many lives with the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not fair. You're right. I think it's okay to hate that she's gone. I hate that she's gone... I hate that you have had to endure so much loss and so much pain. I love you and wish I could turn back time for you. Your list of what you know about God is good. He is good. One day, it won't matter that she got a head start to heaven. One day you'll see her again, worship Jesus with her, and have the rest of eternity to know her. I'm so grateful that you have that hope and that you're holding on to it. Your honesty and vulnerability is beautiful. I love you. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete