Tuesday, April 19, 2011

When Sinners Say "I Do"

Looking for a Gospel Centered book on marriage?   Here is a great recommendation:



I just finished this book a few weeks ago and had to share it.  This is definitely not your typical marriage book that gives you tools on how to have a great marriage.   There are few books that offer assistance with the root of all the problems we encounter in our relationships.  Few of them get to the heart of the matter, and prescribing the biblical cure.  The book actually focuses on the harsh reality of sin and the beautiful reality of grace. Too many think lightly of sin, and therefore think lightly of the Savior.  Of course most Christians believe they are sinners, and some would say reading this book is unnecessary and even depressing, but this simple, yet powerful theology can do wonders in your marriage.  As Dave Harvey says throughout the book, "when sin becomes bitter, marriage becomes sweet."  It is true that most Christians would agree that they are sinners, but there is something about marriage that draws your sinfulness out even more.  For example, I can find myself thinking, "I have never really struggled with impatience (or insert your own word here) before I got married."  But the truth of the matter is, I have always been an impatient person, but it didn't come out as much as it does now.  At times, people assume that the cause of some of their wrong behavior is their spouse.  Your spouse doesn't automatically make you more of a sinful person, it just reveals your sinful nature more than before.   I love how Dave Harvey reminds us, "We are all the worst of sinners, so anything we do that isn't sin is simply the grace of God at work." 

The book  also states the importance of studying God's Word.  "The Bible is the foundation for a thriving marriage."  "God is the most important person in marriage.  Marriage is for our good, but it is first for God's Glory."  As C.J. Mahaney says it, the book  "provides clarity in conflict, hope in despair, and points the way to a joy-filled, God glorifying marriage." 

After reading this book, I have realized even more what a sinful person I am, which has made God's Grace so much sweeter to me.  I am incredibly thankful that the Lord has chosen me, a sinner, and it is only by His grace that I can do anything good.  It's only by His grace that I can have a relationship with Him.  It is only by His grace that Justin and I can have a thriving marriage.   I am more thankful for all the times Justin has extended me mercy and grace when I didn't deserve it.  And it has also helped me to give Justin grace and mercy when I really didn't want to. 

All in all, I think this is a must read whether married or single.  So buy your copy today, and make sure you have Kleenex for the last chapter, "When sinners say goodbye"...it's a tear jerker! 

 I'll leave you with one last quote:

"A maturing marriage is one that sees all the way to the finish line and beyond. As married Christians, God bestows upon us the extraordinary honor of nurturing and celebrating the inner renewal while also caring for the outer decay. It's an adventure in irony, made possible by the gospel, the only real treasure in our brittle jars of clay. Not every married Christian sees this clearly. But joy awaits those who do."

1 comment:

  1. My lovely wife,
    I loved reading your post! You make me want to blog. First things first...I need to finish reading the book :)
    Justin

    ReplyDelete