Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Big 3-0

Yes it's true, I turned 30 last week and I'm not ashamed!  I not one of those girls who dreads turning 30 or is ashamed of her age, and I'm actually really looking forward to my 30's!  The 20's were obviously a great decade for me and filled with lots of change, including graduating from college, moving overseas for 2 years, living on my own, getting a job and then getting married!  But now I enter in my 30's with great anticipation and really looking forward to this new decade of marriage and parenthood! I have no doubt it will be filled with ups and downs, trials and triumphs, and tears and excitement.  I am truly thankful to walk through this journey with my life partner and best friend!

Okay so back to my birthday.  We realized awhile back that Justin was going to have a couple of weeks off of school the same time as my 30th birthday, so we knew we needed to do something outside of Houston to getaway.  We decided to go to New Orleans since we had never been there before together and my best friend Staci lives there now with her husband and I have been wanting to visit her.  It was a great trip that I hope to share more about in another post.  Here are some pictures from my birthday:

The day started out with breakfast beignets at the famous Cafe du Monde....so good!!




We then walked around Jackson Square and the French Quarter and did some sight seeing and shopping!  



We met some interesting people on the street....


And bought some cute NOLA hats to fit in...


We then went to lunch at a wonderful seafood restaurant, did some more walking, shopping and sight seeing and then went back to our hotel to clean up for dinner.  


The 4 of us went to dinner at a fun restaurant on Magazine that was really good!  



The night ended with what else but dessert!  We went to a cute little gelato place for birthday dessert


It was a wonderful birthday for sure and I'm so thankful for my hubby and Staci for making is so fun and special!  Of course I have to end my birthday post with a funny story about what my sweet and thoughtful hubby gave me for my birthday.  I must start with saying that it is very hard for my husband to surprise me.  My sweet man can not lie to save his life (which is a great quality) and I always know when he is trying to trick me or surprise me.  I can read him very well.  Anyway, the day before we left for our trip Justin asked me to get out the wrapping paper and tissue paper, etc so he could wrap my birthday gift.  He had told me a few times to not have high expectations since we are on a budget and this trip is a part of my bday present.  Of course I knew that and wasn't expecting anything big.  I did notice he spent a VERY long time wrapping my gift, but being that my hubby is a perfectionist, I didn't think much of it.  So on my birthday he gives me my gift perfectly wrapped in the hotel


At this point I have absolutely no idea what it is.  So I open up the gift and this is what I saw:


For those of you who don't know, this is a board game that we already own!  My heart literally sank when I opened up.  My first thought was "you gave your wife a board game we already own for her 30th birthday?" He then tells me in this exciting voice, "I know how much you like games!" He then tells me that he asked my mom for her input about what to give me and she told him that I like this game.  I am seriously falling for his entire gig.  I then sweetly say, "we actually already have this game....but that's okay."  And of course Justin is acting so upset with himself that he bought me a game that we already own.  I am telling him it's okay though I was secretly disappointed.  I don't remember exactly what I was thinking at this point, but something in me made me open up the box.  And this is what I saw in the box:


It's an iPad!!!  I couldn't believe it!  I was in such shock that my husband had bought me an iPad.  We are not the most techy couple and usually the last to get into the newest gadgets.  But I was SO excited and relieved that he didn't get me a board game!  I couldn't stop laughing as he definitely surprised me.  He was so thoughtful as we only have one computer that actually works well (our other computer is so slow there is no point to even get on it) and now I can get on the iPad when he's doing his school work.  I must say, my husband did good and it was definitely a memorable 30th birthday!  

1 comment:

  1. That is such a cute way to give you your present! How funny! Happy belated birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete