Friday, October 5, 2012

39 weeks....and counting

Well, I am now about 39 and a half weeks pregnant.  You would think I would be excited since Cooper could be coming any day now, but after my Doctor's visit today, it's looking like he is still super comfy and cozy and not coming anytime soon!  Ugh!  It had been about 10 days since my last appointment and I really thought things were progressing a little.  I was only 1 cm dilated last time and I surely thought and prayed that I would be at least a 2 today.  I also felt like he was dropping down lower too.  Well, I go to my appointment and she checks me again and tells me that I'm still barely even a 1 and not effaced at all as my cervix is super far back.  She even told me he is still high up...say what?  I told her that I thought he had dropped lower, but no...he hasn't at all.  I guess your mind can make you believe anything if you really want to.  So basically the plan now is I have to go back on Monday for an ultrasound and make sure he is still doing well.  I then have another doctor's appointment on Wednesday, and if all is still well, I will be induced next Tuesday, the 16th at 41 weeks.  They don't want to induce me before that because I would have a higher risk of having a C-section especially since I haven't made any progress at all.  I asked her if she thinks he could possibly come on his own next week, and though it's possible, it doesn't seem very likely.  I also asked if she could strip my membrane next week to help start the labor naturally which I hear helps a lot,  and she said she couldn't even do that because my cervix was so far back.  It was all so frustrating.   I really want him to come on his own and am still praying that he will surprise us all next week.  I've always loved surprises anyway!   I also really want a vaginal birth so I want to avoid being induced if at all possible.  If I am induced on the 16th, my mom will be able to be there for the birth, but she has to go back to the hospital for 4 days on the 18th, so that is another reason why I want him to come next week.  So now it's just a waiting game!

I am still feeling well, but am starting to get impatient.  I remember hearing about pregnant women who would be impatient when they didn't have their baby at 38, 39 or 40 weeks, and I'd think "it's just a week or so away, what's the big deal?"  Well, now I know.  When you're 39 weeks pregnant, a week feels like an eternity!  Especially after you pass your due date and you had the picture in your mind when he would come and expectation of what it would be like afterwards.  I also think the waiting is worse with your first baby as time goes by slower.  But I'm thankful that God had his birth date picked out before time began and he knows what's best for our family.  I am praying that he will come next week on his own and will be going on long walks and anything else there is to help start up labor!  Isn't there some type of dish at Carrabbas that people say help start labor?  Anyone know what that is?   I'll try anything at this point to help move things along :)

The good news is, no matter what, we will have a baby by October 16th!  And that is only 11 days away!  I won't be pregnant forever though it feels like it now.  I won't be wearing pants that go up to my chest for too much longer.  The end is in sight, though it may be longer than what I was hoping and expecting.  We appreciate your prayers over the next week or so!!


6 comments:

  1. Dear one, avoid the induction. Push it back further if you can. If you want a natural vaginal delivery, avoid interventions. That baby will come when he is good and ready, and your body can and will do what God made it to do, if you give it good time. I know it can be so exhausting, and it all feels so necessary, but really, avoid the interventions... wait for what will come naturally. Walk a lot, down steep inclines if you can find them. Let your body bring him down on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, unfortunately, my doctor will not allow me to go past 41 weeks...she says it can be too dangerous for the baby as the placenta will stop working right or something like that. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this, but that is how my doctor feels.

      Delete
    2. I understand that; of course you need to listen to your doctor! We'll just pray that things will progress smoothly. It truly is possible for your body to go from 0 to 60 fairly quick; mine always does. I'm *never* dilated past a 1 until I have been in labor actively for at least an hour or so. Hang in there, and don't lose heart! :)

      Delete
  2. God will work it all out, Tracy. As I know you will, place your trust in Him. I also know as He made us human, it's natural for you to be feeling the mixed bag of emotions right now and for you to desire the timing that works well with your Mom's schedule. I will pray that He grants you that desire. Continued prayers for you, Justin, and baby Cooper for the best of health, His peace and mercy. Love you. Mary Cummings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont worry...I was induced at 40 weeks and had a vaginal birth and no complications! Everything will be fine and you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tracy I know how you feel you just feel like it will never get there.... Not to mention probably super uncomfortable so "resting" as everyone tells you to do isn't realistic... I have no advice other than this might be the last little bit of time that drags because once that baby gets here you blink your eyes and they are 3:) I remember going out of my mind waiting to have Joshy and it seems like it was yesterday and hes 9 months old now.... You are doing awesome have a few more date nights and then you will be holding that little angel....

    ReplyDelete