Saturday, December 1, 2012

Life as a new mom

Well, I have now officially been a mom for  7 weeks and by the lack of my blog postings, I must say I stay pretty busy!  And by pretty busy, I mean I have hardly any free time to do anything but take care of Cooper, and take care of the house (which please don't judge if you come over).  I love my new job so much, and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but I must say...it is way harder than I ever thought!  When I read other mom's blog postings when they have a newborn, they seem so happy and giddy and all is just wonderful with the world.  I'm tempted to post the same things, but I'm just too tired!  Being a mom really is exhausting.  The past 7 weeks have been the hardest weeks of my life, but also filled with such joy at the same time.  I went from having an extremely easy labor and wonderful 2 nights in the hospital, to the second we bring him home, things just went downhill.  We didn't sleep at all the very first 2 nights, and about a few hours a night the first 2 weeks.   My hormones were also all out of whack.  We were so tired and had to take him to the Doctor a few times to figure out what's wrong, which he has acid reflux. His medicine is helping some, but he still spits up all.the.time!  There are times when my shirt is completely soaked after he eats.  I go through burp cloths like crazy...in fact I need to get more!  He also seems like he is in pain some of the time and I just don't know what else to do for him.  Right when I'm at a breaking point of exhaustion, he does something like this


And my heart just melts and all is right in the world!  He first started to smile a little over 5 weeks and it was sooo adorable!  Now, he smiles a lot and at specific things I do.  He is just the cutest and sweetest baby!  I really think someone should record what Justin and I do to get him to smile, it's pretty ridiculous!





Everyone told me it would get better, and at the time it didn't help much...but they were all right!  This week, Cooper started sleeping about 7-8 hours a night, which has been a huge blessing.  But then last night he went back to sleeping 5 hours, which doesn't surprise me.  One thing I have learned is right when you think you have the mom thing down,   he reverts back to something and it makes you all confused and helpless again.  This definitely keeps me from thinking I have it all together and to depend completely on the Lord!  Like with any job, we must depend solely on the Lord and ask Him daily for wisdom.  I have learned to rejoice on the good days, and when I have a day where he won't stop crying and I have no idea why, I know it will pass and that there will be good days and sweet moments to come.



Cooper also had his 1st Thanksgiving!  We had a great time at my parents house with my brother, nephew, Aunt and Uncle.  Cooper started to track people and look around more, which is so fun.  I am truly so thankful for my boys!  I love my hard working, kind hearted hubby and my smiling sweet boy!


I am also so thankful for my mom.  She has helped me so much with Cooper and watching him when I need a break.  She was diagnosed with cancer back in August and is now in remission after going through chemotherapy (she has one round left).   It is something to celebrate and I am so thankful to the Lord for healing my mom.


Cooper will be 2 months soon and get his 2 month shots!  Time really is going by fast, though somedays seem so slow.  Cooper is also going to be baby Jesus in the Houston First Baptist Celebration Christmas performance.  It's a huge production and he will play baby Jesus on  Sat and Sun matinee performances.  I just hope he's in a  good mood those days :)   December is already going to be busy and I am so looking forward to Cooper's 1st Christmas!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! So glad you're enjoying it and loving his sweet smiles. :)

    How fun that he gets to "play baby Jesus" too. Super fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog for mothers. You infused the reality of motherhood so well . . . the joy, the tough challenges, the sweetness of caring for a precious baby, and those special moments a mom gets to experience with her child. Love you, Mary
    PS How awesome Cooper gets his first acting role as such a young age. Perhaps he will get the "acting bug" LOL>

    ReplyDelete