Sunday, April 1, 2012

The 1st Trimester

Now that I'm 13 weeks pregnant, I'm having a little more energy to write about my 1st trimester.  We all know that the 1st trimester can be rough, and it definitely was for me for several reasons.  My main symptom was exhaustion....the kind of exhaustion that makes you feel like you just got hit by a truck.  I normally average about 7 hours of sleep a night and I'm embarrassed to say that I have been sleeping 9-10 hours a night (when possible).  I feel like I could sleep and sleep.  And then when I get home from work, I would sometimes even lay on the couch and take a 30 minutes "power nap" since I'm so exhausted from that drive home.  I also started to get nauseous at around 6 weeks but I never got sick.  The nausea would come and go from 6 weeks to about 9 weeks and then it faded.  I definitely liked being nauseous because it made me not worry as much.  There were times when I would go 3 days in a row without feeling nauseous at all and start to worry that something was wrong.  But thankfully the nausea would come back or I had a Doctor's appt that would confirm that little heartbeat. The only thing that helped my nausea, since I never got sick, was to eat.  Isn't that crazy?  Usually when you're nauseous, you don't even want to look at food, but they say when you're pregnant, an empty stomach makes you more nauseous.  I had to eat when I first woke up in the morning or I would feel very sick.  I also carried snacks with me in my purse all the time.  I felt like a kid having crackers and cheerios in baggies all the time.   Looking back, I really did not have that bad of a 1st trimester compared to some of my friends who are constantly sick.  It's very ironic as I really wanted to be sick, while most women who are sick hate it.  I knew the Lord was teaching me not to fear and to trust Him.

My main other symptom was hunger.  I have always noticed an increase in appetite, especially when I first wake up, with all of my pregnancies.  It's also a little strange as I would get hungry very easily and then become full very easily.  My Doctor told me that was completely normal.  So the key is small meals throughout the day!  It helps with my hunger and my nausea.  I haven't had any big cravings yet, but I do say that I love eating macaroni and cheese and pasta!  The other night,  we went to the Olive Garden and it was like heaven for me!  I usually don't eat pasta as it's loaded with carbs, but now I'm quite enjoying it!  

I'm still trying to work out, but not near as hard or as often as I was before.  My Doctor encourages me to work out, but to definitely take it easy with my history.  So I'm enjoying long walks outside and the elliptical at the gym.  I'm sure in a few months, the elliptical won't be a great idea for me anymore.  But I am looking forward to swimming this summer!  How fun to wear a bathing suit and not feel self conscious because you're suppose to look big!  I'm looking forward to getting some good exercise and staying cool by swimming during the hot Houston summer.

So now that I'm 13 weeks and out of the 1st trimester, I'm feeling a lot better.  I'm not nauseous or as tired anymore (thought still pretty tired, just not as bad).  To be honest, I thought after I was out of the 1st trimester, that I wouldn't be worried as much.  Boy, was I wrong.  I have been a little worried now that I don't have any big "symptoms" anymore and it's still too early to feel the baby move around.  I feel pretty normal besides the extra pounds!  I just want to feel something different to give me reassurance.  Did anyone else feel this way the beginning of the 2nd trimester?  I also have to wait a month to go back to the Doctor which is harder since I was going every 2 weeks before.  It's a continual reminder to me to give my fear over the the Lord and to trust Him.  There is literally nothing I can do but seek the Lord during this time.

On a lighter note, we get to find out the gender in just 3 more weeks!!  I'm SO excited I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas Day!

Thank you again for praying for us and our sweet baby.  I appreciate your continual prayers!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy! Yes, that is COMPLETELY normal at the beginning of your second trimester! For me, there was a period of time where I felt much better after the 1st trimester but weeks before I felt any baby movement which makes you worry! I stumbled across your blog recently and have continued to read. We have had 2 miscarriages in the past year but currently expecting a sweet baby boy in June! Hang in there... Before you know it you will be feeling the "wiggles!" :) Hope you have a great week! Feel free to contact me if you need/want! Haley(dot)weiner(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Haley for your comment...it's sure is nice knowing I'm not the only one feeling this way! And congrats on your baby boy! That makes my heart smile, I'm so happy for you!

      Delete
  2. I love reading about other peoples pregnancy journeys. It is such a special, miraculous time. Especially once the first trimester is finished. Hopefully some energy will come back soon. I thought after I entered the second trimester I would get a burst of energy. It never really happened, but it did slowly get better over time. I no longer needed to go to bed at 7pm, and didn't have to take naps in my office at lunch. Your body is still working hard for your little one so being some what tired is normal throughout pregnancy. So so so much fun to find out the gender soon. Can't wait to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, I remember feeling the exact same way with both my pregnancies. The unknown is so, so hard! I will be praying God's peace for you during this time. Just take a deep breath and enjoy the only miracle on Earth that we get to help God with. So happy for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete